Wednesday, January 21, 2009

on dunking a basketball

Sometimes I dream that I can dunk a basketball. I had this dream last night again and I woke up pretty fucking pumped up. Somehow I find myself playing a pick-up game in one the gyms of my youth. It’s mostly the same circumstances, I’m running a fast break, fake a pass to the right and elevate, get the extension in midair while leaning forward and smash that bitch on the poor bastard that ran back on D. Elation, pure joy...
All of this takes place on a regulation court. While my subconscious might have some reference point for the feelings of actually undertaking this experience (I did dunk regularly on 8 foot courts) I don’t understand what the dream means. I’m a shade under 5’7” and could touch a regulation rim in the peak of basketball playing days which happened nearly a decade ago. I kind of remember trying to see if the latter was possible but was a few inches short and my tiny hands made the whole ordeal impossible.

No comments: